Overview of Sports & Games at DAIS
Sports and games take their rightful place in the lives of students at Dhirubhai Ambani International School, whether they seek high-level competition or recreation. Sports give an opportunity to develop their physical skills and to remain healthy and active, while experiencing the pleasure of achievement. The mental and physical strength, self-discipline, rigour and practice required to excel help them gain confidence in all that they do as a part of a team. This also teaches them the qualities of self-control, self-esteem and leadership and develops the characteristics of a true team player and sportsperson, attributes that will be of value later in life. The blend of the joy of winning and the pain of defeat experienced in the sporting arena helps the individual to be balanced, cope with failure and empathize with his opponents and his team when faced with defeat.
Apart from the wide range of sporting activities, the school offers Physical Education as a subject both in the ICSE and the IGCSE programmes. The School also conducts an annual sports meet separately for each of the sections - the Primary School, the Secondary School and the IB Diploma students - and holds inter-house competitions in most of the sports mentioned above.
In the last 10 years, the School has made significant progress in various sports and games and is credited with several achievements.
2006: Hosted the Inaugural International Sports & Cultural Fest around the theme 'The Eternal Flame of Peace & Friendship'. Nearly 1000 students from DAIS and 110 students from Bangladesh, China, Nepal, Sri Lanka and Thailand participated in this Fest.
2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010: International Football Camps were organised at the School, led by prominent coaches from the UK and Australia. It provided a unique opportunity to our budding footballers to learn football skills of speed, agility and control and to soak in team spirit, self-discipline and sportsmanship.
2008 and 2010: Best co-educational school in sports in Mumbai by the Mumbai Schools Sports Association (MSSA).
2009: Best school in Judo (Boys and Girls) in Mumbai by the MSSA
2010-11: Won School Champion Cup by the International Schools Sports League, for earning the highest points in sports, a fitting acknowledgment of our many sporting accomplishments.
2011: DAIS students won the ‘Fair Play Trophy’ amongst 110 teams from 25 nations in the International Football Competition ‘Cpoa Cataluna’, in Barcelona, Spain organised by Komm Mit.
DAIS Sport Stars
DAIS student Shiven Khosla has done our school proud by earning his Second International Masters Title. Shiven ranks 9 on World Ranking, 2 on Asian Ranking and 2 on National Ranking.
Tanushree Mohan won a silver medal at the Commonwealth Karate Championships held at Johannesburg, South Africa.
- The school provides Infrastructure/ equipment of very high standards in the core sporting activities which we conduct
- Very competent, experienced and qualified coaches are appointed to train our sportspersons to excel
- Our school participates in tournaments organized by: MSSA / DSO / recognized National Sports Federations / Mayor’s Cup / International Events
- We have been hosting the IB Schools Sports Fest for the last 10 years for girls and boys in Basketball, Football, Tennis, Table Tennis and Badminton.
- Our coaches are certified first aiders and the nurses are always on stand- by for prompt treatment to be administered if necessary
- The school coaches advice the Parents and the sports person with regard to the most suitable diet to help our players excel in their chosen sport
- From the Academic Year 2013-14, IB has introduced Sports Exercise and Health Science (SEHS) as a subject. Our school has offered the same to our students and 6 students have chosen SEHS.
Sports and Games
Sports and GamesOverview of Sports 2013Open or Close